In 2001, the average copyright of a book collection in Colorado school libraries was 1986—over 15 years old. Although the average copyright has increased to 1991, the age of Colorado school library collections has not. In schools, access to information is essential, but the information students are retrieving is often older than they are.
Consider some of the major events that have occurred since 1991:
- Bill Clinton is elected as the 42nd president (1992).
- The World Trade Center is bombed the first time (1993).
- Nelson Mandela is inaugurated as South Africa’s first black president (1994).
- The Oklahoma City bombing occurs at the Alfred P. Murrah federal building (1995).
- The first version of Java programming language is released (1996).
- Dolly the sheep is the first mammal to be successfully cloned (1997).
- Google is founded (1998).
- The Columbine High School shooting occurs Littleton, Colorado (1999).
Click the Download Report button at right to continue reading this Fast Facts.