- Pleased Patrons: CTBL Maintains Excellent Service Record
- More Opportunities, Lower Pay: 2012 Insights from Library Jobline
- Early Literacy Information on Colorado Public Library Websites
- Colorado School Libraries and the Use of Web Technologies, 2011-2012
- 21st-Century Instruction Strategies in Colorado School Libraries
- See more Fast Facts.
- Pleased Patrons: CTBL Maintains Excellent Service Record
- New Public Library Data Tools
- New Fast Facts: More Opportunities, Lower Pay: 2012 Insights from Library Jobline
- BTOP Outcome Evaluation Presentation at the Schools, Health & Libraries Broadband Coalition Annual Conference
- Slides are now available for our Computers in Libraries presentation
- Join us at Computers in Libraries next week!
- Find more LRS news on our blog
Topics of Interest to Libraries
Children and Youth Services
- Annie E. Casey Foundation - KIDS COUNT
- KIDS COUNT, a project of the Annie E. Casey Foundation, is a national and state-by-state effort to track the status of the children in the U.S. KIDS COUNT provides local, state, and national data about children.
State-Level Data Online
Census Data Online
Right Start Data Online
CLIKS: Community-Level Information on Kids
- Teens in the Library - Findings from the Evaluation of Public Libraries as Partners in Youth Development
- This study reports on findings from the Public Libraries as Partners in Youth Development Initiative, a 3-year, 9-site initiative funded by The Wallace Foundation to develop innovative models for public libraries to provide high-quality educational enrichment and career development programs serving underserved low-income children and youth.
New on the Shelf: Teens in the Library
- Toronto Star - Libraries tied to student achievement - study makes case for training, funding
- The first Canadian study linking school libraries to student achievement indicates that better libraries improve student test scores and add to kids' reading enjoyment.
Better grades? Thank a librarian by Tess Kalinowski, education reporter
- SmartGirl.com - Teen Read Week Surveys
- An examination of the correlation between parents reading to their children and the likelihood of those children to read later in life.e.
Report on Teen Read Week Survey
"A Partnership of SmartGirl.com and The American Library Association", this page summarizes the findings of a survey conducted during Teen Read Week (October 17-23) 1999 exploring the reading habits of young adults, ages 11-18.
Report on Teen Read Week Survey
- A Survey of Library Services to Schools and Children in the UK 2003-04
- Annual, published Autumn. Based on a detailed questionnaire survey, it includes tables of individual authority data, with explanatory comments, summaries and per capita indicators, covering children's services in the public library and support provided through Schools Library Services. This year a supplement to the main report gives detailed data by government office region for England.
- ALA/Dewitt Wallace-Reader
- Dewitt Wallace-Reader's Digest Fund 1998 initiative entitled "Public Libraries as Partners in Youth Development." The first report summarizes the results of a survey conducted jointly with the American Library Association; the second report shows how the survey findings were put into action.
"Programs for School-Age Youth in Public Libraries": html pdf
"Public Libraries as Partners in Youth Development": html pdf
- National Center for Education Statistics
- Services and Resources for Children and Young Adults in Public Libraries (1995)
"This report will present current information about the services and resources that are available to children and young adults at public libraries. It will also include information on the usage by patrons, barriers to increased usage, and library-schools-community organizations interactions."
- The official Website of the Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics Federal provides federal and state statistics and reports on children and their families, including: population and family characteristics, security, health, behavior and social environment.
- American Foundation for the Blind - Who's Watching?
- A Profile of the Blind and Visually Impaired Audience for Television and Video
Presents results of a study on video description (technique that inserts explanations and descriptions of visual elements of a video or television program for the visually impaired). Statistics are presented in tables and charts including "ways that vision problems affect respondents' television watching, television genres that respondents would like to have described, and receptivity of respondents to video description."
- International Center for Disability Information
- Disability Tables organized by state, total U.S. and world data including statistics on work disability, self care and mobility, life expectancy, need for personal assistance, elderly issues, and veterans' employment.
- National Center for Health Statistics FASTATS - A to Z - Disabilities/Impairments
- Health data for Americans including selected impairments per 1,000 persons by age, sex and age, race and age, and geographic region.
- National Health Interview Survey on Disability (NHIS-D)m
- News releases and fact sheets, data highlights, data collection survey instruments.
- US Census Bureau: Disability
- View the most recent reports, briefs, and data on disability and obtain disability data to create your own tables and cross tabulations as well as links to other related sites.
Economic and Social Statistics
- America's Career InfoNet
- Occupational information including wages, trends, and state profiles.
- America's Labor Market Information System
- Provides short term forecasts, long term industry projections, MicroMatrix occupational projections, standard wage, and state occupational projections.
Labor Market Information Training Institute
- Bureau of Analysis
- International, national, and regional data
U.S. Economic Accounts
- Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment Statistics
- U.S. Department of Labor - Bureau of Labor Statistics
Survey produces estimates of employment and wage rates by occupation including:
Librarians, Professional Occupational Employment and Wages, 2002; 25-4021 Librarians
Technical Assistants, Library Occupational Employment and Wages, 2002; 25-4031 Library Technicians
- Current Population Survey - Main Page
- Provides estimates on employment, unemployment, earnings, hours of work, and other indicators. Date is available by age, sex, race, marital status, and educational attainment, in addition to occupation, industry, and class of worker.
U.S. Census Bureau - Technical Documentation
- Policy Institute
- The Institute's Datazone contains online tables including wage and compensation trends, family earnings and income trends, prices, low wage labor market indicators, and employment statistics.
- Links to government, private, and academic data sources--a quick access point to state and sub state socio data.
Your Guide to Regional Data on the Web
- International, national, and regional data
- Local Area Personal Income
- School District Analysis System (SDAS)
- This NCES application allows users to view summary state and national tables of school district data from the 2000 School District Special Tabulation (STP2). The system is made up of a set of cross tabulations permitting users to specify pre-selected row topics and column topics. Column topics provide a unique distribution of school district data grouped by the indicated characteristics (e.g., percent minority, school district size, etc.). The enrollment column topic is essentially a rearrangement of the state and U.S. data provided in the Census 2000 data link.
School District Demographics
- Statemaster is "a unique statistical database which allows you to research and compare a multitude of different data on US states."
- U.S. Census Bureau: Poverty
- Resource guide to poverty in the United States. Page includes link to Poverty 1999 Report in pdf-file format, as well as Current Population Survey (CPS), Poverty Definition, Thresholds and Guidelines, Decennial Census, Recent Poverty Measurement Research , Survey of Income and Program Participation (SIPP), and Small Area Estimates.
- U.S. Department of Justice: Bureau of Justice Statistics
- Offers statistics on crimes and victims, corrections, courts and sentencing, and more.
Economic Impact of Library Services
- Economic Impact Study - Regional Benefits of Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
- An economic impact study shows that Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh provides quantifiable economic benefits to the region and is the Pittsburgh area's most visited regional asset.
- Economic Hard Times and Public Library Use Revisited
- This 2002 article by Mary Jo Lynch has as its mission to explore the proposition of whether or not library use increases during an economic downturn
American Libraries article
- Economic Benefits and Impacts from Public Libraries - State of Florida, 2001
- This study conducted by the Information Use, Management and Policy Institute of Florida State University and funded by the State Library of Florida surveyed library patrons about their perceptions of the economic benefits and impacts of public libraries. Based on findings reported here, a follow-up return-on-investment (ROI) study is proposed.
- Laser Foundation: Libraries Impact Project
- This project sought to develop a series of measures that offer a transferable framework for adoption by library authorities to allow them to demonstrate the distinctive contribution that libraries make to a range of policy areas at local and national level.
- New York's Libraries: How they STACK UP!
- A New York State Library publication that shows how New York's libraries are good for the economy
- Placing a Value on Public Library Services - 1998
- This St. Louis Public Library study applied a variety of economic concepts (including cost-benefit analysis, economic impact analysis, and consumer surplus valuation) to valuing public investment in library services.
- Public Library Use in Pennsylvania: Identifying Uses, Benefits, and Impacts - Final Report
- Charles R. McClure and John C. Bertot (June 1998)
- South Carolina Public Library Economic Impact Study
- A study prepared by the School of Library and Information Science at the University of South Carolina
- Taxpayer Return on Investment in Florida Public Libraries
- The State Library and Archives of Florida hopes to use the results of this study to show that when Florida's state and local governments invest in libraries, it enhances the quality of life in communities and helps build a diversified economy.
State Library and Archives of Florida - Return on Investment Study
- Worth Their Weight: An Assessment of the Evolving Field of Library Valuation
- Americans for Libraries Council's newest report offers researchers and advocates an overview of the cutting-edge field of library valuation, or models for expressing a library's multiple contributions to its community in dollars and cents.
International Library Statistics
- This site was established by the European Commission within the Telematics Applications Programme. Its purpose is to test and then generate an automatic means of collecting data from respondents in each of 29 countries comprising signatories to the European Free Trade Agreement (EFTA) and the Association Agreement with the EU in Central and Eastern Europe (C&EE). Data collected in past surveys has been added to the database, and visitors to this site can review past trends as well as compare national statistics.
Libecon.org - A research study into international library economics (Requires first-time users to register)
- Library & Information Statistics Tables - UK
- Library statistics reporting library and information statistics in the UK from 1997 through 2000. Published and compiled by the Library & Information Statistics Unit, Loughborough University, Loughborough, Leicstershire.
Department of Information Science - Loughborough University
- Australia and New Zealand Academic Library Statistics
- Statistics for academic libraries in Australia and New Zealand, collected annually and published by CAUL (Council of Australian University Librarians)
- Canadian Association of Research Libraries Statistics
- Order information for publications distributed by the Canadian Association of Research Libraries
- Canadian Public Library Statistics
- Produced annually by the Mississauga Library System for CALUPL (Council of Administrators of Large Urban Public Librarians), the Canadian Public Library Statistical survey and report compiles data for libraries in Canadian cities with populations over 50,000.
City of Mississauga
- New Zealand Public Library Statistics
- Statistical information about public libraries in New Zealand
- UNESCO International Library Statistics
- Statistical tables for national libraries, public libraries, and higher ("tertiary") education libraries in selected countries from the UNESCO Statistical Yearbook
Statistical Yearbook 1999
Libraries and Books
- American Book Sellers Association: BookWeb: Research & Statistics
- Offers book industry reports, statistics, the ABACUS Financial Study, and facts of interest about the book industry
- American Library Association - The State of America
- This status report on the health and welfare of the nation's libraries compiles a wide variety of available data on library-related topics such as: public opinion, funding, construction, the USA PATRIOT Act, copyright, censorship, and the "65 percent solution."
2012 2011 2010
- The Bowker Annual Library and Book Trade Almanac
- Ordering information for this "on-the-job answer book...statistical information resource...planning and research guide.
- BUBL Library and Information Science Journals
- Contents, abstracts or full texts of current library and information science journals and newsletters.
- Quotable Facts About America
- Mini-brochure produced by the American Library Association and Library Research Service providing quick facts about libraries in the United States
- ALA, Office for Research and Statistics - Smallest, largest libraries in U.S. see largest funding cuts
- Public libraries serving more than 500,000 or fewer than 25,000 people saw the greatest midyear funding cuts, according to a national study from the American Library Association (ALA). The study also found that libraries in the West and Midwest sustained larger cuts than their counterparts in the South and East. The study is the first national look at midyear changes in public library budgets. Responses came from a nationally representative sample of U.S. public libraries.
- Library Journal - Budget Reports
- 2012 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Consumer price index (CPI), producer price index, international price index, unemployment rates, labor force statistics, payroll statistics, collective bargaining agreements, employee benefits survey, employment cost index, occupational injury and illness rates, productivity and costs index.
Consumer Price Index
- Library Journal:
- April 15, 2007. As open access gains ground, STM publishers change tactics, and librarians ask hard questions
Serial Wars by Lee C. Van Orsdel & Kathleen Born
- Library Journal:
- April 15, 2006. While the struggle odver open access plays out, librarians, vendors, and publishers continue to trade within a market dominated by all things electronic.
Journals in the Time of Google by Lee C. Van Orsdel & Kathleen Born
- The Non-subscription Side of Periodicals: Changes in Library Operations and Costs Between Print and Electronic Formats
- This 2003-04 study by the Council on Library and Information Resources (Washington, DC) examined the 'non-subscription' costs of print vs. e-periodicals and found that these costs of e-periodicals are consistently and substantially lower than those of their print counterparts.
The Non-subscription Side of Periodicals
Also, see the March 1, 2005 Library Journal article, Digital Savings, at Library Journal Digital Savings
- School Library Journal: Average Book Prices, Children
- 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999
- U.S. Periodical Prices Index, American Libraries
- Price Indexes for 2000-2005
- U.S. Serial Services Price Index for American Libraries
- U.S. Serial Services Price Index-2002
Public Opinion Polls
- Southern Maryland Regional Library and Division of Library Development and Services, Maryland State Department of Education (2006)
- Maryland Public Library Survey, Customer Survey of Maryland Residents About Libraries
- Public Agenda - Long Overdue: A Fresh Look at Public Attitudes About Libraries (2006)
- Public Agenda examines attitudes about libraries in their latest study, "Long Overdue". The report includes the results of a national survey of the general public as well as interviews with national and local civic leaders.
- Benton Foundation - Local Places, Global Connections: Libraries in the Digital Age (1997)
- Benton Foundation - Buildings, books, and bytes (1996)
- National Center for Education Statistics - (.pdf)
- Use of Public Library Services by Households in the United States: 1996
Staffing and Salaries
- Administrative Compensation Survey
Washington, DC: College and University Professional Association for Resources (CUPA-HR)
Executive Summaries, Data Samples and Survey Press Releases
- ALA Salary Survey
Chicago and London: American Library Association, published annually.
Summary and Ordering Information
- ALA Library Journal Annual Report of LIS Placements and Salaries
- 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001
- ALA Library Staff Studies
- Results of Supplementary Questions in the Annual ALA Survey of Librarian Salaries
Library Support Staff Job Titles (2004)
Employee Benefits (2003)
Spending on Staff Development (2001)
Age of Librarians (1999)
Collective Bargaining Agreements and Pay Systems (1997)
- ALA Racial and Ethnic Diversity Among Librarians: A Status Report (1998)
- by Mary Jo Lynch, American Library Association
- ALA Retirement & Recruitment: A Deeper Look
- by Mary Jo Lynch, Former Director, ALA Office for Research & Statistics and
Stephen Tordella, President, Decision Demographics
Thomas Godfrey, Senior Demographer, Decision Demographics
- ARL Annual Salary Survey
- Washington, DC: Association of Research Libraries, published annually.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, biennial.
U.S. Department of Labor and Statistics - 2006-07 Edition
- Bowker Annual - Research on Libraries and Librarianship
- Annual article summarizing library research
2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000
- Yahoo's Hot Jobs Salary Survey
- Look up salary information based on type of job and geographic location.
Yahoo's Salary & Benefits: Salary Wizard
State Library Agencies
Summer Reading Programs
- Colorado State Library
- Summer Reading Possibilities
Explore the Possibilities with Summer Reading @your Library
- Colorado State Library
- Participating in a summer reading program makes a difference in student achievement!
Summer Reading @your Library
- New York State Library
- Highlights of Research on Summer Reading and Effects on Student Achievement
New York State Library's Statewide Summer Reading Program