Are you interested in attending the 2018 Research Institute for Public Libraries (RIPL) in Atlanta, Georgia (July 29-August 1, 2018)? Do you have facilitation skills that you want to use at RIPL?
We will be selecting up to 10 RIPL participants to serve as facilitators during the institute.
- already be planning to participate in RIPL because of their interest in strengthening their skills in data and evaluation,
- have experience facilitating small group activities and discussions, and
- be committed to encouraging participant involvement in group activities and discussions and fostering connections among participants, instructors, and staff.
Prior experience with data and evaluation is a bonus, but is not required.
In addition, the facilitator opportunity is open only to applicants who have NOT attended a prior RIPL national event (either RIPL 2015 at the Cheyenne Mountain Resort, Colorado Springs, CO, or RIPL 2016 at the Inverness Hotel, Englewood, CO).
RIPL is designed to be an immersive and highly participatory learning experience, and RIPL facilitators play a vital role in insuring that participants are actively engaged in the hands-on activities and discussions that occur throughout the institute. Facilitators are assigned to groups of 5-6 participants, and they sit with their groups during general sessions and some meals to facilitate group work. Groups change several times during the institute, so facilitators will work with 2-3 groups across the 3-day event.
RIPL facilitators have the full participant experience. Facilitators will participate in the same sessions as everyone else, be able to choose which breakouts to attend, etc. The only difference is that facilitators will have some added benefits and responsibilities, as described below.
Benefits to facilitators include:
- Discounted registration fee: $1,000. This fee includes the curriculum, three nights lodging, and most meals.
- Guaranteed spot at RIPL 2018.
- Enhanced experience because of the opportunity to get a behind-the-scenes look at the institute design and curriculum.
Pre-institute responsibilities include the following:
- Attending two 60 minute pre-institute webinars to learn more about the facilitator role and to become familiar with the group work that instructors have planned.
- Reviewing any discussion guides, activity instructions, etc. that instructors provide ahead of time.
During RIPL, facilitators are responsible for:
- Sitting with their assigned group (5-6 participants) during general sessions and some meals and facilitating discussions, learning activities, etc.
- Connecting the members of their group with RIPL instructors/staff if they have questions or want to discuss topics that they aren’t able to address.
- Connecting with other facilitators at touch points in the institute as necessary.
- Providing feedback at the end of the institute about their facilitation experience.
How to Apply:
To be considered for a facilitator position, you must submit an application by 8:00 PM Eastern/5:00 PM Pacific on Friday, November 10, 2017. Learn more about the application process and access the online application form here. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance status before the end of December.