Statistics are collected at the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) from more than 9,000 public libraries via the Federal State Cooperative System (FSCS). Data are available for individual public libraries and are also aggregated to state and national levels.
Public Libraries in the United States
- About the Survey – Get the basics about the annual Public Libraries Survey (PLS).
- Publications – View reports summarizing national results from the PLS.
- Data Catalog – Dig deeper into IMLS data with this new interactive tool.
- Data File Download – Access data files for 1992 to the present.
- Explore Public Library survey data.
- Search for a Public Library
- US Library Data Archive – Formerly housed by the National Commission of Libraries and Information Science (NCLIS), LRS now hosts files consist of compilations of raw annual data, longitudinal recompilations of those annual data, summary analysis of the libraries, reports on them, methodological studies, and documentation.