Retirement, Retention, and Recruitment: The Future of Librarianship in Colorado
In the fall of 2003, the Library Research Service undertook a survey of library personnel in Colorado, attempting to address the “3Rs”—Retirement, Retention, and Recruitment—in the profession. Results were reported in a number of publications:
Closer Look Report
The full report of the study, this PDF contains 189 pages worth of information.
This small brochure hits the highlights of the study.
3Rs PowerPoint Presentation given at the 2004 Colorado Association of Libraries Conference.
Quotes from the LRS presentation at CAL
Is there a future in librarianship? (PDF) given at the 2008 Annual Membership Meeting for the Rocky Mountain Chapter of SLA.
Fast Facts based on the study
- Librarianship in Colorado Public Libraries
- Librarianship in Colorado Academic Libraries
- Librarianship in Colorado School Librariaes
- Diversity of Colorado Library Workers
- Colorado Public Library Paraprofessionals
Articles from The Bowker Annual Library and Book Trade Almanac, 2005
- Retirement, Retention, and Recruitment: The Future of Librarianship in Colorado by Keith Curry Lance
- Research and Statistics on Libraries and Librarianship in 2004 by Denise Davis
Note: These articles are posted with permission from The Bowker Annual Library and Book Trade Almanac, 2005, published by Information Today, Inc., 143 Old Marlton Pike, Medford, NJ 08055-8750. Copyright Information Today, Inc.
The following publications include articles written and/or edited by the LRS staff.
- Lance, Keith Curry. “Racial and Ethnic Diversity of U.S. Library Workers.” American Libraries May 2005: 41-43.
- Steffen, Nicolle, and Zeth Lietzau, eds. “The Future of Librarianship in Colorado.” Colorado Libraries 31:2 (Summer 2005).
- The Future of Librarianship in Colorado: An Overview by Nicolle Steffen and Zeth Lietzau
- Today’s MLIS Students: What’s on their Minds by Don Dickenson and M. Claire Williamson
- Why am I a Librarian? Conversations with a Cross Section of the Profession by Martin Garnar
- The Resilient Career by Kim Dority
- Back into the Fold: Strategies for Attracting and Retaining Information Professionals within Librariesby Marcy Phelps
- Recruitment and Retention in Colorado’s Libraries: A State Library Perspective by Eugene Hainer
- Who Will Replace the Super Heroes? School Librarians and the Retirement Crisis by Jody Howard
- Meeting Recruitment and Retention Challenges Head On by Rochelle Logan and Art Glover
- The Decision to Retire: A Personal Story by Nancy Bolt