The Library Research Service recently conducted a Fast Facts survey of Colorado library media centers (LMCs) to collect information about being open after regular school hours. LMCs that reported after school hours in the LRS annual survey were sent this survey (82 libraries). Fifty-six questionnaires (68 percent) were completed and returned.
It should come as no surprise that regular media center staff are working both normal school hours and after school, even occasionally volunteering their time.
- 54 percent are library media aides,
- 45 percent are CDE-endorsed school library media specialists, and
- 29 percent are librarians with MLS.
After School Highlights
- 91% staffed by regular staff
- 64% of after-school hours paid by school districts
- 44% of staff work additional hours for same hourly wage (the most frequent practice)
- 14% of staff volunteer their time
Click the Download Report button at right to continue reading this Fast Facts.